How to safely enjoy Fireworks
With the Fourth of July right around the corner, many people are stocking up on fireworks. While this can be a fun activity to celebrate the holiday, it's important to take the necessary safety precautions when using fireworks. This is especially important for Central Oregonians as much of the vegetation that makes up our beautiful landscape is extremely flammable.
Did you know that fireworks are the cause of over 18,000 fires each year? These fires account for an average of 3 deaths and 40 injuries each year. Check out the tips below so that you can avoid becoming part of the statistic.
1.) Don't let young children handle fireworks.
Young children should definitely not be handling fireworks. Additionally, any older children should be closely monitored by an adult to ensure that fireworks are being properly used.
2.) Avoid using fireworks if you're impaired by drugs or alcohol.
It's no secret that drugs and alcohol can cause poor judgment. It is best not to take the risk of using fireworks when impaired for the safety of everyone around.
3.) Don't hold any fireworks that have been lit in your hand.
This may seem obvious, but it's worth mentioning. Fireworks should never be held in peoples' hands once they are ignited.
4.) Don't light fireworks indoors.
The last thing that you want is to cause a house fire from lighting a firework inside. Stick to the outdoors when using fireworks.
5.) Don't light fireworks in a container.
Fireworks should never be lit in a container, including metal and glass containers.
6.) Soak fireworks in water for a couple hours after use.
It is a good rule of thumb to soak fireworks in water for a couple hours after they have been used. This will prevent any accidental fires.
7.) Always have a bucket of water nearby.
Fire spreads at an extremely rapid pace. Having a bucket of water ready is important to stop a fire while it is still manageable.
8.) Light fireworks in an area without fire hazards.
Find a clear area that isn't surrounded by vegetation when shooting off fireworks.
SERVPRO of Lincoln specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. We can handle any size disaster!
Call us at 402.466.4004