Fireplace Safety Tips
With the winter season upon us and the temperature starts to drop, we often turn to anything that can keep us warm in our homes. From heating a certain room with our space heaters to cuddling up with your loved ones in front of a warm fire. All of which can be potentially dangerous. Here are some tips to keep you safe while turning up the heat.
Fireplace Safety Tips:
- Before starting a fire, make sure the damper or flue is open. Keeping this open will draw smoke out of the house. Using a flashlight to look up the chimney can check the damper. Never close the damper until the embers have completely stopped burning.
- Use dry or aged wood in your fire. With dried wood, it burns with less smoke and burns more evenly. If you use wet or green wood, this cause more smoke and contributes to soot buildup in the chimney.
- Smaller pieces of wood positioned on a grate burn faster and produce less smoke.
- Make sure to clean out ashes from any previous fires. The levels of ash at the base of the fireplace should be kept to 1 inch or less. A thicker layer restricts the air supply to logs, resulting in more smoke.
- You should get your chimney checked annually by a professional. Even if the chimney is not due for cleaning, it is very important to check for animal nests or any other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.
- The area around your fireplace should be clear of anything that is potentially flammable.
- Never leave the fire in your fireplace unattended. Make sure the fire is out completely before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure to test them monthly and change the batteries at least once a year.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand.
Peace of mind over the holidays and winter season can be increasingly difficult. Educating your family on these safety measures can eliminate the likelihood of a fire in your home and keep your family safe and sound.
SERVPRO of Lincoln specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. We can handle any size disaster!
Call us at 402-466-4004