Protect Yourself AFTER A Storm
A few things to keep in mind following storm damage:
Unfortunately, an increase in the number of storm-related claims may lead to an increase in the number of unscrupulous roofers and contractors who are willing to take advantage of homeowners. It is very important for you to be cautious when dealing with contractors who offer to repair your home. Some tips:
- Only do business with licensed contractors with good references.
- Always request a written, detailed estimate.
- Never pay for work up front, nor make any payments in cash.
- Never sign a contract with spaces left blank.
- What is their business address? If the company has a PO Box or doesn't have a local address, they probably aren't a local company.
- Ask about some references for work they have done in this area. Local companies should have plenty of projects you can see in the area.
- If in doubt about anything you are being asked to sign by a contractor, don’t be afraid to ask questions. Don’t feel pressured into signing anything. Take time to do your research, and if you are unsure about anything in the agreement, WAIT until you’ve had an opportunity to look it over more carefully and discuss it with your insurance agent or adjuster.