Important Safety Tips For Using A Space Heater!
Follow These Guidelines When Using A Space Heater
Space heaters can take the chill out of a cooler room, but they can also be dangerous, as 40-percent of home heating fires are caused by space heaters. Before purchasing a space heater, it is important to consider how it will be used. Will it be used for supplemental heat in colder rooms or other areas, or will it be used for emergency heat? As a general rule of thumb, electric space heaters are typically safer than portable fuel-burning models (e.g. natural gas, propane, kerosene.) Remember to choose a unit that is listed or labeled by a nationally recognized testing laboratory such as UL (Underwriters Laboratories), CSA (Canadian Standards Association) or ETL (Intertek). This will ensure that the heater’s construction and performance meet voluntary safety standards.Below are some tips for keeping your home or office safe while using a space heater. While some may seem obvious, others may surprise you:
- Keep It Level Always place a space heater on a hard, level and non flammable surface
- Remember the 3 Feet Rule Ensure the space heater is at least 3 ft away from anything that can burn.
- Keep It A Kid Free Zone Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- Don't Leave It Running Never leave a space heater on when you leave.
- Protect With Smoke Alarms Install smoke alarms/carbon monoxide on every floor of your home and test them regularly.
- Don't Extend Yourself Avoid using an extension cord. Plug a space heater directly into an outlet with enough capacity.
- Areas Where Space Heaters Are Used Should Be Free Of Flammable Liquids. Do not put them on easily ignitable or combustible surfaces, such as rugs or carpets, or use them to dry wet clothing.
- Use A TimerMany models feature programmable timers that can be used to program automatic on and off times for when you sleep or head to work.
- Clean Your Space Heater Be sure to clean your space heater regularly, and follow your manufacturer’s guide for specific advice on maintenance and inspection.
Any space heater will warm you up, but not all are created equal. The best space heater will included safety features like tip-over protection and UL certification. It should also be easy to move and operate, dispersing heat without wasting energy.
If fire or water damage strikes your home or business, give us a call. We are on call 24 hours a day, 356 days a year. SERVPRO Professionals have been helping home and business owners for more than 45 years.Contact SERVPRO of Lincoln at (402)466-4004 http://www.SERVPROlincolneast.com/